Dermatology is a branch of medicine that deals with various ailments of skin, hair, nail and mucous membrane. The abnormal conditions reflected on skin, hair, nail are diagnosed and treated by a Dermatologist either by medication or surgical procedures. A Dermatologist must possess an in depth clinical knowledge about various internal health problems that trigger skin diseases. Acne, pimples, Dermatitis and Eczema, skin allergy, nail infections, fungal infection, Vitiligo, Psoriasis and skin cancer are some of the diseases treated by a dermatologist.
Sub – Specialities of Dermatology
- Cosmetic Dermatology: Dermatologists often perform cosmetic (minimally invasive) surgery which include ‘Botulinum Toxin’, ‘Fillers’, ‘Laser Surgery’, Face lift’, ‘Liposuction’, and Blepharoplasty.
- Trichology: This field of Dermatology deals with problems related to hair loss, hair abnormalities, scalp changes and hypertrichosis.
- Dermatopathology: Dermatopathology is involved with the pathological tests of the skin.
- Immunodermatology: Immunodermatology covers skin diseases that develop due to immunity disorder. These skin diseases are Lupus, Bullous, Pemphigoid, and Pemphigus Vulgaris etc. Diseases which affect the epithelial organs such as skin, mucous membrane, gastrointestinal and respiratory tracts require immunodermatogy testing to know the exact reason behind the disease. Immunodermatology tests are done on the skin and the tissue.
- Paediatric Dermatology: Paediatric Dermatologists treat skin diseases in neonates/children. The children and neonates often suffer from hereditary skin diseases and Genodermatoses
Dermatologists use numerous treatment procedures to treat and cure skin problems. Some of these procedures are:
- Laser Therapy: It is done to manage birth marks, skin disorders like Vitiligo, for tattoo removal, cosmetic resurfacing and rejuvenation.
- Chemical Peels: This is used to treat acne, Melasma, and sun damage.
- Allergy Testing: It is done to know the cause of certain allergy. Patch Testing is done to treat contact dermatitis.
- Cryosurgery: This procedure is done to remove warts and to treat skin cancer.
- Photodynamic Therapy: To treat skin cancer and precancerous growth.